Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Thing 43 - Online TV and Video

My husband and I love Hulu. I did not know about Joost before doing this thing. Streaming seems to be the future of video media. I wonder how long cable will be around in it's present format.

Our TV at home is actually used as a monitor for a computer, which acts as our Tivo. We use Myth, a Linux based free program, to perform the functions of TV. Thus, when we want to view something on Hulu, we just browse to what we want and make it full screen on our TV. Sometimes it's a little jerky, but it's not bad. The main problem with this setup is that many DVDs will not play on a Linux computer, so we have to have a separate DVD player.

I'm forseeing in the future that libraries will subscribe to services that stream movies and other media and will not have collections. I will be glad, because there will be no more obsolete equipment for obsolete formats.

No comments: