Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Thing 14. LibraryThing

Well, I finally have joined LibraryThing. At my previous job, I told two colleagues about LibraryThing, but never joined myself. They both joined at the lifetime level, bought scanners, and use it regularly. And rave about it. I've just used it to find books I might want to read, without joining. I've felt like a slacker for over a year, but now I am a productive citizen of Web 2.0 and LibraryThing.

My library has a few of my favorite books in it. I'm not sure how I feel about having this information public. I know that some people I know who use LibraryThing zealously guard their privacy with a username that cannot be traced back to them.

In a library, I could see using this for the same reason I use it personally, as a reader's advisory help. I also think the tag clouds are interesting and a good way to find books on weird things like "wordplay". And it lets you see how other people rate books.

2 comments:

--Deanna said...

LOL - your comments about feeling like a slacker sound all too familiar to me! Maybe Web 3.0 will include some kind of application to motivate me to be more productive in using all these wonderful sites like Flickr, LibraryThing, etc.

Great job on the Things so far! The deadline is looming, but just a few more Things and you'll be done!

Elizabeth said...

Months later and still only four books entered? Yes, I see this is not your Library 2.0 soul mate application. :)