Saturday, April 12, 2008

Thing 15. Online Games and Libraries

I tried both Puzzle Pirates and Second Life. Puzzle Pirates interested me because a woman who worked for my husband just left that job to work for them. It's an interesting game, but not nearly as interesting as something like World of Warcraft. All these games end up quite repetitive, though. And the social aspects aren't very interesting to someone who already has very little free time.

Second Life strikes me the same way. Why not use your First Life? I can see this being a great venue for people with disabilities who are not mobile or need adaptive technology to interact with people, but I'd rather work on improving the real world. These virtual games can also be addictive because they're so easy compared to day-to-day reality, and thus become an incredible investment of time - for what end?

After I retire in 20 some years, however, I might be persuaded to use my implanted neural shunt to play lots of virtual games.

No comments: