Friday, April 3, 2009

Thing 30 - More Ways to Use RSS and Delicious

I've used Bloglines for a long time, but since I use Google calendar and have an iGoogle page, I thought it would be interesting to check out Google reader. I'm curious about the feature where you see just the most recent updates from all your subscriptions at once, and I think it would be interesting to run these through my iGoogle page. So I created an OPML file. Everything seems to be working.

I created a Twitter account for our library, then used RSS to Twitter to feed the library's Blogger RSS feed into our Twitter. It's too soon to tell if it's working, but if it does, it will be cool! Talk about efficiency: I'll be using our blog to update both Twitter and our web page news if everything works.

Using Delicious, I added some people to my network, but then I deleted them. The network thing just seems like total information overload to me. My Delicious bookmarks include things like my kids' school and our church. Why would I want those things from other people? Subscribing to tags seems a bit more reasonable. I subscribed to a couple of tags.

I could not for the life of me figure out how to add the code for the button or badge to this blog. I tried sticking it in the HTML in several places, but it did not accept it. It's not a widget that I can add, and it's not listed in any of the widgets for Blogger. What the heck? Ditto for the tagroll. I give up. It's just not worth my time.

No comments: