Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Thing 33 - Travel 2.0

Travel 2.0 makes sense. The blogs aren't that interesting unless they are about a trip to a place you happen to be going. But the reviews from sites like TripAdvisor are invaluable. I particularly like that their reviews get into traveling group and age range, since I definitely have different travel needs now than I did when I was 20.

Sites like Vcarious seem aimed at trips that go overseas or to major destinations. Milwaukee or other midwestern destinations are just not very useful. Gotta have some money and time in order to need sites like this.

I looked at several of the mashups. Again, a bit of disappointment. Green Routes doesn't do much for most routes in terms of food, which would be my biggest area of interest. And the FastFoodmaps doesn't include Subway, Culvers, or Arbys. Bummer. We'll be taking a trip this summer out east, so I'll try TripTouch from the award winning mashups. But in general, things like this are not worth the time they take.

We have an AAA membership, and their site has really great maps and routing. I would heartily recommend a AAA membership to everyone, if only for their roadside assistance.

Some of these sites might be useful for our library patrons. I can see recommending TripAdvisor or other review sites.

No comments: