Monday, June 9, 2014

23 Mobile Things # 11 - Library & Reference

Our library has a mobile version of our catalog at https://cen-mplus-mnpals-net.cenproxy.mnpals.net/vufind/.  It's not an app, but for a library catalog, in some ways, I think that's better.  Gale has an app, but EBSCO has a mobile version that detects the type of device you are on and switches to the mobile version if necessary.  We've had some problems with off-campus access through the Gale app, but no problems with EBSCO mobile because access goes through our proxy server.  Apps and proxy servers do not necessarily play nicely.

We have a guide to mobile access for our library that includes mobile versions and apps at http://libguides.century.edu/mobile.   My favorite app there is the Bluefire Reader, not so much because it's a great reader app but because it facilitates the download of our ebooks onto Nook and iPad without having to go through the hassle of downloading through Adobe Digital Editions first.

For this Thing, I downloaded the St. Paul Public Library app.  It has a number of options:

  • My Account: It's nice that it can save the login info.  I may use this to renew books.
  • Library Locator: A good thing if you're out and about and want to find the closest branch of the library. Oddly, it wanted to know my location, but then listed every branch, with no regard to where I was located.
  • Ask A Librarian: It's nice that Email Us and Call Us are just a click away.  I'm surprised that there is no chat option though.
  • E-books and Audiobooks Available Now: Nice!  OverDrive, 3M Cloud Library, and OneClickdigital, all ready for use.  I'd better put this app on my iPad, though, because I really don't want to be reading books on my phone.  Downloading audiobooks might be an option, though.
  • New Books for Adults, Teens, Kids: Useful, but I'd rather browse in person.
  • BookLook @ ISBN search: If I'm doing selection using Choice or Library Journal, I can grab the barcode and find out whether or not the library has it. Cool!
  • Research: Ugh.  This wants me to install more apps.  Can't they just pass me to the EBSCO mobile site with my saved login credentials already in place.  Bummer.
There's more, but not as interesting as these.  

No comments: