Saturday, June 14, 2014

23 Mobile Things # 21 - Free-for-all

I was volunteering at a half-marathon last spring and was suddenly inspired by the idea that if I ran a 5k in July, I could get my kids motivated to run it with me.  Both are cross-country runners who don't train nearly enough during the summer.  I know that my sister-in-law used an app to get ready for a 5k, so I researched similar apps and downloaded 5K Runner.  The trial version only covers three training runs, so I did end up spending a small amount for the full version. 

The idea is to run a 5K after 8 weeks of training.  The app starts with a mix of walking and running, and it tells you when to walk and run.  I had to change my route away from busy streets, because I can't hear the app when there is a lot of traffic.  The goal is to run only three times per week, but the training program seems to be working.  I just completed week 6 and am up to running 20 minutes.  Nothing the app has had me do is impossible at the point it asks me to do it.  I would recommend this app for anyone trying to run a 5K.

No comments: