Wednesday, June 4, 2014

23 Mobile Things - #6 - Creating & Editing Docs

I chose to try QuickOffice, although when I saw the two star rating, I almost chose CloudOn instead.  I though QuickOffice would be useful because I use Google Drive.

I downloaded and opened the app, signed into my Google account, and looked through the directions for Powerpoint, which could be useful when presenting at a conference.  I also looked through the Word directions, then turned to my Google Drive, which had my name on it.  I looked at the recent documents and then things got weird. 

Did I mention that I share the iPad with my 16 year old son?  Did I mention that he also uses Google Drive?  IPads want to belong to someone, and despite the fact that I signed into MY Google account, somehow QuickOffice belongs to him.  Finally, I saw an option to add another Google account, which allowed me into my documents.  (When I'm signed in, does that mean he can access my documents?  Since they are mostly work related, it doesn't really matter, but it's weird.)  I opened a spreadsheet, which did not allow me to edit, but offered me the opportunity to buy an app.  I could view it, though.  Then I tried to open a Word document, which also offered me the opportunity to buy an app.  Hmmm. 

Creating a document did work.  I also created a Powerpoint slide and a spreadsheet.  I have to say that it's not nearly as easy as using a PC, but I could see that if the only device I had on hand at a conference or a meeting were an iPad or iPhone, this could come in handy.  Would I remember the gestures if I used this app infrequently?  Hmmm.

I think for notetaking, I will still use Evernote, but I think I will keep this app on the iPad. 

No comments: