Thursday, June 5, 2014

23 Mobile Things #7 - Content Saving & Sharing

I chose to take a look at Bitly, which I have used for years to shorten URLS.  This time I downloaded it to my iPhone and created an account using Facebook.  I copied a link, pasted it in, and the app went off into lala land for many minutes, probably because I use wireless and don't have a data plan.  I stopped it, copied a different link, went over to the Bitly app, where it said, "Link Detected - want to save this link you copied?"  I clicked "Save it", and it seemed to work.  But then when I went to "Your Links", nothing I copied was there.  The app must have changed since the 23 Things "Getting Started with Bitly" was created, because there was no "Next" option and the screens looked nothing like the directions on 23 Things.  Guess I should have tried this back in January.

The menu icon gave me options for Your Links, Bundles, Your Friends' Links, and Trending Links.  Your Links brought up the same search screen as the initial screen that again went off into lala land endlessly.  Bundles was empty.  Your Friends' Links, which I thought might load something from Facebook, also searched endlessly.  Trending Links gave me a "Realtime error".

My phone generally works fine without a data plan, but this particular app is pretty useless.  It's too bad, because I was thinking it would be like the old Delicious, which was great for keeping a set of bookmarks in the cloud.  I'm bummed.  I may try it on the iPad, but my phone is where I really could have used it.

No comments: