Thursday, June 12, 2014

23 Mobile Things #16 - Audio

For this thing, I downloaded SoundCloud onto my iPhone and created ANOTHER account.  I've seen on Facebook that some of my son's friends use SoundCloud, so I was hopeful that it might be a good app.  After I selected several categories to follow, the app went into lalaland while filling my Stream with the latest tracks from people you know.  Did I select too many categories?  Is my wifi too slow? 

I was able to search for an artist and play a song.  The controls are pretty straightforward, and I can see how I would make a playlist.  When I went back to my Stream, it was finally full.  Oddly, one of the items was the "General Prologue to Canterbury Tales" from Smithsonian Folkways, so I listened to that for a while.  A book by Diana Gabaldon was also on the list, but it was unclear whether it was the whole incredibly long book or not. 

The screens for 23 Things must show an iPad, because on the iPhone, when I tapped the Activity tab, all I got was a screen saying, "See Activity from people interested in your posts," with no Record option.  There was a three dot icon option not on the iPad screen shot with account info that included a record option.  I recorded myself playing Ashokan Farewell on the piano.  It was easy.  I could see using this to record a piece at a piano recital then posting it for family to hear. 

I'm trying to think how we could use this in the library.  Not too much comes to mind, but maybe if we had a reading of a banned book during Banned Books Week, we could post an excerpt of someone reading.

No comments: