Friday, June 6, 2014

23 Mobile Things #8 - Social Media Management Tools

I've been on Facebook and LinkedIn for many years, and I have a Google+ account because you pretty much can't avoid having one.  However, my Google+ profile and account were pretty barebones, and since I often receive requests for friends on that account, I thought I would take this opportunity to set it up. 

I started by uploading a profile photo and adding friends.  I like that Google+ automatically groups people.  I'm not as fond of the magazine type layout, but at least it's not overrun with ads the way Facebook is these days.  and I like the way it handles photos.  Although I had a bunch of friend requests to process, when I added all the people, what I discovered was that not many of them are actually posting to Google+.  In fact, one post read, "Just posting so I can find again."  Most amusing.  I'm glad to have an improved profile, but I don't know how often I will check this.

Our library currently has a Facebook and Twitter account.  Our blog automatically posts to Twitter, but not to Facebook.  I set it all up so long ago that I have no idea offhand how it works or what it uses.  I might take a look at Hootsuite or something else to automatically make our posts go to all our sites, although I most likely will use a PC and not an app to do so.  I can't quite imagine why one would use an app for this purpose, but maybe it will all become clear to me when I get my neural implant.  :-)

No comments: