Wednesday, June 11, 2014

23 Mobile Things #14 - Videos

I had heard of Vine, so I downloaded it to my phone and created yet ANOTHER account.  Vine was really easy to use.  I liked the embedded tutorial that you almost could not avoid.  However, the only interesting thing to videotape was my teenage son making popcorn, and he did not appreciate appearing in my video.  He had heard of Vine, but did not want me to post.  I totally understand.  In fact, I think it's a great, easy way to take a short video, but I must be really old school because I don't understand who would want to view my videos, unless it's of some momentous event like first steps or graduation.  Maybe a funny cat?  But we don't own a cat.

Last year was the first time I ran into a patron who only wanted information in video format, not something they could read.  I can understand this for people with learning disabilities, but for most people, I can't really fathom this.  Video is hard to browse.  You can't "scan" it the way you can scan a printed page.  It takes way longer to view a video.  It can be a legitimate source of information, but I can't see it as an efficient source of information.  The same goes for Vine, which seems like the extended version of Instagram.  None of the videos that Vine showed me were remotely interesting or funny. 

I can't think of any way we could use this at work that we couldn't do better with a photo or screen capture. 

No comments: