Saturday, June 14, 2014

23 Mobile Things #19 - Hobbies

I'm a gardener, so I decided to download MyGarden to my iPad.  I like the option for a plant overview without logging in.  The plant overview is kind of simplistic, with no info on zones or colors available.  The plants are really oddly categorized, with some very, very specific varieties, along with "Phlox", which can have tons of sub varieties.  Dare I say that I wish it were more like LC Subject Headings, with broader categories above more specific categories?

The sharing piece is not very interesting to me.  There aren't very many people with particular plants in their garden, and there are very few of them in my zone.  The people who aren't in my zone are pretty irrelevant to me. I suppose this could be useful if I had questions about killing Japanese beatles, but I don't think I would use an app for that.  There are web sites that are much better for this purpose, and the U of M extension service and the Horticulture Society are much more relevant for Minnesota.  I guess that although this is a hobby, it isn't something I consider a social thing.  Or if it, is, it's social with my neighbors, not on the web.

No comments: